Newcity’s art section is growing. We are searching for an emerging art writer to join our staff. The ideal applicant is an art fanatic, gallery hopper, museum junky, artist advocate, storyteller and grammar geek. We are an equal-opportunity employer.
The assistant art editor assigns, manages and copy-edits art exhibition reviews, art news, artist profiles and occasional art features for Newcity’s art section. The assistant art editor works independently and with the associate editor to produce bi-weekly content for Newcity’s print and web publications. Adhering to a strict deadline schedule is key for this position. Work is conducted via virtual office. The position is paid and part-time.
Newcity is a biweekly free and independent publication founded in 1986. Our art section boasts the largest and most diverse coverage of contemporary art in Chicago. For more information see art.newcity.com.
1. Compile, schedule and distribute review and profile assignments to Newcity’s contributing art writers.
2. Copy-edit and fact-check reviews and profiles on deadline.
3. Write five brief art news posts per week (online only).
4. Acquire images and image rights.
5. Upload content using WordPress.
6. Write reviews and artist profiles, and contribute research to special art cover features.
1. Excellent copy-editing and writing skills.
2. Familiarity with Chicago’s contemporary art scene and its regional art history.
3. Pristine email, telephone and interview etiquette when communicating with writers, colleagues and story sources.
4. A passion for deadlines.
5. A college degree in journalism, art or art history is helpful—but not required.
The paid hourly position is budgeted for ten hours per week. Written contributions (news, reviews, profiles) are paid per article.
Email your resume, letter of interest and a short writing sample to Jason Foumberg, associate editor, [email protected].com. Include the letter of interest in the body of your email, NOT as an attachment.