A major literary event is scheduled for Friday, March 2, to benefit Young Chicago Authors, a Chicago literacy organization transforming the lives of young people through writing, publication, and performance education. The event, called Literature Party, will feature readings, immersive performances, and a DJ. It is scheduled to coincide with the AWP Conference (Associated Writers and Writing Programs), a national literary event that will bring an estimated 10,000 writers to Chicago from February 29 through March 3.
Friday March 2, 2012
8pm, 18+, $10
2424 N Lincoln Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
Literature Party will be hosted by eleven of the literary world’s most exciting endeavors, including publishers, magazines, distributors, and other innovators. A complete list of sponsors, with a brief description of each, is listed below.
The benefit party will feature readings by Tim Kinsella, a member of the legendary band Cap’n Jazz and author of The Karaoke Singer’s Guide to Self-Defense (featherproof books, 2011);Mary Miller, whose book Big World was praised widely after its 2009 release; and Dorothea Lasky, author of three celebrated books of poetry including Thunderbird, which will be released later this year. Jesse Ball (author of the acclaimed novel The Way Through Doors, and Writing Professor at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago) will also read with the accompaniment of Chicago puppeteers Jill Summers and Susie Kirkwood.
Additionally, Chicago-based DJ Matt Roan, is scheduled to play music and Glitter Guts will install their unique live photo booth. All hosted by Zach Dodson and Lindsay Hunter of Chicago’s own featherproof books.
Complete list of sponsors for the event:
• School of the Art Institute of Chicago Writing Program
• Bookforum: book reviews and culture magazine
• Drag City Books: Chicago-based publishing arm of Drag City Records
• Featherproof: Chicago-based book publisher
• Hobart: literary magazine and book publisher
• HTMLGIANT: culture website
• The Lit Pub: books blog and online bookstore
• Publishing Genius: book publisher
• Red Lemonade: publishing and social network
• Submishmash: submissions platform
• Wave Books: book publisher
Media Sponsors: CHIRP Radio, Newcity
More information can be found at the event website, www.literatureparty.com.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.